M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Bronze Age Spiral Pendant
- A Late Bronze Age double spiral forms the pendant of this distinctive and unique gold necklace
- Over 3000 years old, the creation hails from Central Europe
- A craftsman meticulously hand-wrought two spirals and a central coil of a thin bronze rod
- Reminiscent of later Celtic motifs, the artwork can be displayed on or off its 18K gold collar
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Today, the bronze double spiral is a wearable art piece, set into a bespoke 18K yellow gold collar. Always intended to be worn, the convertible avant-garde setting allows the bronze artifact to retain its original function as personal adornment, while still permitting the ancient creation to be seamlessly removed for display as a decorative object. Reminiscent of later motifs incorporated by the Celts of central Europe and Ireland, the spiraled ornament still retains a tensile spring after nearly 3,000 years of European history and finds new life in a sleek necklace.
Several comparable Bronze Age spirals reside in prestigious museum collections worldwide, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cleveland Museum of Art.
Necklace: 16" length
Bronze pendant: 4" high x 3 1/2" wide
Circa 1400-1200 BCE
Private collection, Switzerland
Private collection, Basel, Switzerland
M.S. Rau, New Orleans