M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
French Musical Automaton Picture Clock
- This incredible creation blends a clock, music box and an automaton with a beautiful painting
- In terms of rarity and complexity, this is one of the most amazing treasures we've ever acquired
- When activated, the painting's farrier scene literally comes alive with several moving components
- This musical automaton picture clock is attributed to Parisian automaton maker Xavier Tharin
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
This musical automaton picture clock is attributed to Xavier Tharin of Paris who was the preeminent creator of these fantastical "moving pictures", especially this particular scene. His process mixed oil painting and hand-colored lithograph images that were layered starting from the back and into the middle and foreground to craft the complex series of movements throughout the painting.
A look inside this particular work reveals the complex mechanism (with the three gongs, pendulum and cylinder components immediately visible) which run the timepiece, the cylinder musical component, plus the multitude of moving elements in the painting -- a truly incredible feat considering the technical prowess to create just one of these devices. Musical picture clocks most often blend only time and musical components, but to find a specimen that also includes the automaton workings as well is nothing short of extraordinary.
44" wide x 10 1/4" deep x 48 1/2" high
|Type:||Musical & Automaton|