M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Jockey Scale by W. & T. Avery
- This English jockey scale was made by the famed firm of W. & T. Avery of Birmingham
- Featuring a leather seat and crafted of oak, the scale incorporates a built-in sliding scale
- These scales were used at horse racing venues to weigh jockeys before and after a race
- This superb example represents a fantastic piece of horse racing history
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The British firm of W. & T. Avery was founded in the early 18th century and took its name from two brothers, Thomas and William Avery, who purchased the company in 1813. Specializing in scales and weighing machines, the brothers quickly established themselves as leaders of British industry in their craft. From jockey scales such as the present piece to high precision apothecary scales, butcher scales, and grain scales, the range of their products earned them a reputation as the premier scale manufactory of their age.
Scale marked "Avery"
37" high x 32 7/8" wide x 24 1/8" deep