M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Swiss Black Forest Dog Cane Stand
- Lighthearted and whimsical, this cane stand takes the shape of a dog standing at attention
- Exquisitely carved, this cane stand is an exemplary model of Black Forest sculpture
- Wealthy Europeans eagerly purchased Black Forest works as symbols of wealth and status
- Swiss Black Forest carvings emerged with popularity in the 19th century
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Wealthy Europeans eagerly purchased Black Forest works as symbols of. . .
Wealthy Europeans eagerly purchased Black Forest works as symbols of wealth and status. Carvings in this style are often humorous and feature animals and woodland critters, such as smoking bears and dogs. Works like these were shown at prestigious exhibitions on the world stage, including the 1851 London Great Exhibition, the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the 1900 Paris Exposition Universelle. Comparable examples of Black Forest carvings are found in royal collections across Europe.
40 1/2" high by 17 3/5" wide by 18 1/8" deep