M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Wedgwood Black Basalt Library Bust of Mercury
- This expertly rendered black bust depicts Mercury, Roman god of commerce
- The model is attributed to John Flaxman, Jr., celebrated English sculptor, illustrator and designer
- Flaxman is considered a leading artist in the Neoclassical style in England
- Black basalt is considered one of Josiah Wedgwood's most revolutionary creations
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
This work is executed in black basalt, a material that is considered one of Josiah Wedgwood's most revolutionary creations. First developed in the 1760s, this rich, smooth stoneware was especially suitable for casting and was used for a myriad of items, including vases, urns and remarkable sculptural forms such as this bust.
Impressed uppercase mark on back and socle.
11 1/8" wide x 10 1/4" deep x 17 1/2“ high