M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Bavarian Pharmacy Balance
- This incredibly rare Bavarian stand holds eight apothecary's balances
- This monumental piece was crafted of walnut during the Biedermeier period
- Measuring up to 500 grams, the balances are comprised of brass, with horn, brass and porcelain pans
- This would have been an essential tool when creating compound medications for specific patient needs
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The units of measurement in which apothecaries worked were often minute: grains, scruples, drams and ounces. As they were typically used to measure very small amounts of ingredients, apothecary and analytical balances such as these needed to be accurate and very sensitive. The first such balances appeared in the 18th century, coincidentally as great strides were being made in the scientific and medical arts during the Enlightenment.
20 1/2” diameter x 30 3/4” high