M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Bronze Colonne de Juillet Fragment
- This fragment from the Colonne de Juillet is a piece of French history
- The column was commissioned by Louis Philippe I in 1835 to honor the Revolution of 1830
- During the Paris Commune in 1871, the monument was nearly destroyed and several fragments fell
- This bronze fragment was later recovered and remains a reminder of Parisian resilience
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
In 1871, following the siege of Paris, during fighting between the Paris Commune revolutionaries and the Versailles government troops, several pieces of the bronze frieze fell. These fragments were later recovered and authenticated.
Inscribed "Débris de la colonne de la Bastille, Commune de Paris 18 Mars-28 Mai 1871"
Plaque inscribed "This fragment of the "Colonne de Juillet" is a relic of the Paris Commune of 1871, when radicals attempted to destroy the column at the site of France's most historic revolutions, the Bastille."
7 3/4" high x 8" wide x 1 1/2" deep