M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Domestic Medicine Chest by Thompson & Capper
- This incredible domestic medicine chest contains everything needed to treat illnesses at home
- Created by Thompson and Capper, this homeopathic kit was an invaluable part of the 19th-century home
- The chest holds a variety of medications and instruments needed to give first aid treatment
- Medical chests in such beautiful and complete condition are exceptionally rare
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The interior contains a multitude of medications, glass bottles with original contents, jars and various instruments used to administer medicines and give first aid treatment. Medications include various antiseptics, mastic (used for cuts, stomach problems, and oral care), quinine (for the treatment of malaria), bismuth and calcined magnesia (both for digestive disorders), aspirin and hydrogen peroxide, or eau oxygénée. An array of instruments, including a nasal pipe, dropper tube, vial, tongue depressor and even a bandage with illustrations on proper usage are held within this remarkable medical compendium.
Though the need to keep medical supplies at the ready dates to ancient Egypt, the first medicine chests did not appear until the late 1700s, with their popularity and level of sophistication reaching a zenith in the mid-1800s. To find a chest in this exquisite, original condition by a respected maker is quite extraordinary.
Interior lid marked "THOMPSON & CAPPER / LIVERPOOL / BIRKENHEAD / HOMŒOPATHIC CHEMISTS
15 3/4" wide x 12 1/4" deep x 8 1/4" high