M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Ethiopian Mezezo Chocolate Opal Specimen
- This extraordinary opal specimen was found in Mezezo, Ethiopia
- Known as a Chocolate opal, this incredible gem weighs a stunning 791.61 carats
- Only first mined in the 1990s, Ethiopian opals are gaining in popularity
- Only 1% of opals mined display this specimen's magnificent range of colors
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Once used by early man as tools, Ethiopian opals have only begun to be mined in the 1990s. Usually found in a round nodular form within a 3 meter thick layer of welded volcanic ash, these opals are plentiful, yet only about 1% of these nodules contain any color at all, let along the striking diversity of color that this piece exhibits. These amazing gems are so new to the market, yet they are gaining in popularity at an exponential rate. To find one of such large size and exquisite beauty is a rare treasure.