M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
French Chinoiserie Hardstone Snuff Box
- This fascinating French snuff box is crafted of beautifully hued brown hardstone
- A stunning chinoiserie motif adorns the lid of the rare objet d'art
- Yellow gold mounts provide the perfect contrast to the rich, deep hues of the stone
- This small treasure is an exceptional example of the luxury arts of the era
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Inhaling snuff, or snuffing, as it is also called, was a popular social ritual among the European elite from the 16th through the 19th centuries. Over these 300 years, master artisans created and designed elegant snuff boxes using fine metals, rare and beautiful woods, tortoiseshell, mother-of-pearl, precious stones and other luxury materials. They were among a gentleman's most expensive and elegant personal effects, and soon became a much sought-after collector's items. This incredible treasure displays the luxury and artistry of the era.
French, circa 1850
2" high x 1 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" deep