M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
French Malachite Backgammon Board
- This exquisitely crafted backgammon board was once owned by the famed Sir Albert Gilbert
- It is resplendently composed of malachite, gilt brass and dyed leather
- The Gilberts are among the 20th century's greatest philanthropists and art collectors
- Exceptional and functional, the backgammon board is the epitome of fine French recreation
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Beyond the stunning materials and craftsmanship employed in its construction, this game set is further distinguished by its illustrious provenance. A testament to its immense beauty, exquisite craftsmanship and rarity, the backgammon board was acquired and loved by Sir Arthur and Rosalie Gilbert, among the 20th century’s most renowned philanthropists and art collectors. The couple made their fortune in the plastic, clothier and fashion industries. After retiring at the young age of 35, the couple went on to amass one of the world’s most extensive collections of fine and decorative art. The Gilberts’ collection, most of which was bequeathed to the Victoria & Albert Museum in London at their passing, celebrates some of the most astonishing items ever made, including objects crafted for Napoleon Bonaparte, Frederick the Great and William Beckford.
4" high x 14 7/8" wide x 23 1/2" deep
Private Collection of Sir Albert Gilbert
Private Collection, London
M.S. Rau, New Orleans