M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
German Miniature of Soldier with Fallen Soldier
- This painting hails from an important collection of early 19th-century German miniature paintings
- This medallion features an injured soldier on the battlefield next to the fallen
- The heartrending scene deftly captures the tragedy and sorrow of war
- Miniature paintings were commissioned by wealthy patrons and used as mementos
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The art of the miniature spans over 400 years, finding popularity in the early 16th century when they first appeared. . .
The art of the miniature spans over 400 years, finding popularity in the early 16th century when they first appeared in European courts. This miniature originates from a rare and remarkable collection of 12 German miniature paintings. These diminutive oil on copper masterpieces exhibit a level of intricacy few artists could achieve on such a small scale. The collection includes portraits, landscapes and genre scenes, most likely executed by several artists of the German School in the early 19th century. Miniatures such as this were commissioned by important, wealthy patrons and often used as mementos of important life events. In the case of portraits, they served as a means to record an individual's likeness prior to the invention of photography in the 1840s. To find such a varied collection of this incredible quality is exceptional.
Miniature: 3 3/8" diameter
Frame: 6 5/8" high x 6 5/8" wide x 1" deep