M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Italian Silver-Mounted Hardstone Centerpiece
- This unique Italian hardstone centerpiece is a luxurious example of the Renaissance Revival style
- The design is formed primarily from semiprecious stones, including agate and amethyst
- The parcel-gilt silver mounting abounds with bacchanalian motifs, from grape leaves to berries
- In material and style, it is exemplary of the revival of interest in Renaissance art during its age
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
In both material and style, it is exemplary of the revival of interest in the Renaissance art form during the mid-19th century. Classical themes, such as the bacchanalian motifs depicted here, provided design inspiration for a number of 19th-century artists, while architectural elements and classical shapes also experienced renewed popularity. Due to the expense of the materials and high level of craftsmanship necessary to execute this elaborate design style, the Renaissance Revival craze was almost solely reserved for the grand homes of the very wealthy.
10 5/8" diameter x 13" high