M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Louis XV Giltwood Mirrored Girandoles
- These exceptionally rare Louis XV-period mirrored girandoles are exquisitely ornamented in giltwood
- Each mirror features four giltwood candleholders in organic motifs exemplary of the Rococo era
- Opulent flourishes of flora and foliage frame each of the mirrors dramatically in the Louis XV style
- Such a stunning pair of mirrored girandoles would provide elegant ambient light in rooms of the era
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Mirrors have long played an integral role in decorative design, often serving as focal points of a room. Dating back to the 13th century, the first French looking glasses were very small, yet enormously precious. Because these early mirrors were so valuable, their frames were often of the highest quality and workmanship. Although mirrored glass became more readily available over time, the frame’s importance never waned, and ownership of ornate examples served as a bellwether of wealth. Today, antique mirrors remain highly coveted, and the present examples are particularly rare as few mirrored girandoles dating to the 18th century survive.
28" wide x 13" deep x 53" high