M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
18th-Century Green Jasper Snuff Box
- Exotic green jasper was used in the creation of this rare 18th-century English snuff box
- The elegant vessel is mounted in 18K yellow gold featuring fine openwork
- Green jasper has been used since antiquity to craft important decorative objects
- Fine 18th-century snuffs such as this are highly desirable
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Green Jasper, also known as "Bloodstone" (due to the red dotting of reddened hematite giving the appearance of blood) or "heliotrope", is a form of chalcedony that has been highly regarded and utilized since antiquity, and was even believed to have the power to make one invisible, bring forth a solar eclipse and preserve health. During the 18th century, the stone was carved to create important decorative and utilitarian objects such as seals, signet rings, perfumes and especially snuff boxes, particularly in the countries of England and Germany.
English, circa 1740
1 5/8" diameter x 1 1/16" high