M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Continental Silver Gilt Salt Cellars
- An impressive set of six Continental silver salt cellars of fantastic quality and size
- These triangular salts were inspired by Renaissance-era silver salts used in 16th-century Germany
- Kneeling satyrs and grotesque masks distinguish the Mannerist style in which the salts are executed
- Historically, salt was a luxury item, even taking the place of and being more valuable than gold
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The markings on these salts appear coincide with those used in the Lothige system of silver measurement common in Germany and surrounding areas. The "13" stamp would then indicate a .8125 silver content.
5 3/8" wide x 2 5/8" high