M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Pietre Dure Plaque of Ancient Artisan by Alberto Menegatti
- This exceptional pietre dure plaque is the work of Alberto Menegatti
- The charming neoclassical scene depicts a young man decorating an amphora vase
- The artist uses the natural inclusions of stone to create texture and shadow
- It is a stunning example of this difficult and highly collectible art form
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The art of pietre dure developed from the ancient art of opus sectile, where materials were cut and inlaid into walls and floors to form a decorative pattern. The meticulous technique requires that fine marbles and stones be carefully and artfully inlaid into a stone base. Both expensive and time-consuming, the art of pietre dure requires not only precious materials but also highly skilled craftsmen. As a result, true marble and stone examples such as this are very rare and highly collectible.
This work is featured on page 207 of Anna Maria Massinelli’s book, Painting in Stone.
Signed "A. Menegatti" (upper right)
Early 20th century
Plaque: 19 7/8" high x 14 1/8" wide
Frame: 24" high x 17 7/8" wide
|Type:||Other Fine Art|
|Canvas Width:||14.125 Inches|
|Canvas Height:||19.875 Inches|