M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
17th-Century Italian Carved Marble Plaques
- These stunning Italian carved marble plaques were hand-carved in the mid-17th century
- Baroque in style, these feature the figures St. Jerome and Mary Magdalene
- Striking dramatic, reverent poses, the figures epitomize the theatrically at the Baroque style
- Incredibly well preserved, these plaques are an extraordinary find
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Each depicted with skulls and crosses, these images of St. Jerome and Mary Magdalene suggest a dramatic moment of repentance and prayer. The expressive, beautifully detailed images form a wonderfully emotional and spiritual image that is typical of the period.
Beautifully crafted, this pair is a true rarity. Not only are decorative works from this period increasingly difficult to find on the market, they are also exceptionally scarce due to their frailty.
Italian, Circa 1670
12" high x 14" wide x 2 1/2" deep