M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
Viennese Silver Gilt Rock Crystal Charger
- Seventeen intricately etched rock crystal panels are set in this Viennese charger
- The charger's design demonstrates the natural ability of the rock crystal to refract light
- The panels are set within a stunning silver gilt frame adorned with gems and enamel
- It is exemplary of Austrian mastery over the arts of enamel and rock crystal
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
Rock crystal, or. . .
Rock crystal, or pure quartz, has been lauded for centuries for its inherent beauty. Ancient Roman Pliny the Elder found its clarity so impressive that he proclaimed it to be ice that had hardened permanently over millennia. When carved, rock crystal appears far more lustrous than man-made crystal or glass, so much so that it has even been used in place of diamonds. Its brilliance and purity, combined with its relative scarcity, secured rock crystal’s status as one of the most highly valued minerals throughout history. It is used to beautiful effect in the present piece, especially paired with luxurious gilded silver. This charger truly represents the heights of the art form.
18 3/8“ diameter 2 1/4” high