M.S. Rau is committed to offering fine art of the highest caliber and we seek paintings and sculpture by historically renowned artists, often with impressive provenance. The large majority of our works of art come from private. . .
18th-Century English Agate Snuff Box
- This beautiful early Georgian snuff box is composed of richly patterned agate
- Finely chiseled 10K gold borders the base and lid
- Agate has a distinguished history in the decorative arts, making this piece particularly desirable
- An early snuff box of this quality and condition is a rare find
- Get complete item description here
To speak to one of our experts, call 1-888-711-8084
The “taking of snuff” was a very social activity among Europe’s elite for centuries. It is said that Queens Anne and Charlotte enjoyed snuff to such an extent, that nearly every member of their courts partook in the habit. Catherine de’ Medici even used snuff to treat her son's persistent migraines, and many credit her belief in its therapeutic properties with the popularization of snuff among the nobility.
English, circa 1730
3 3/8" wide x 2 11/16" deep x 1 5/16" high